Ohio-based business, FinalForms, keeps its eye on the OHSAA and its ear open to athletic departments to keep pace with advancements in high school athletics.
High school sports in the United States are rapidly evolving with new standards for safety, liability and data. Progressive state athletic associations are keeping pace by frequently updating rules and regulations.
While this wave of change is a huge positive for the student-athlete, the workload for athletic departments increases dramatically. FinalForms assists athletic departments by creating one-click tools to manage data as well as liability, financial and medical issues.
“The OHSAA is a dynamic organization including leaders who possess the foresight to adapt and integrate rules and regulations within an evolving athletics and education landscape,” says FinalForms president Clay Burnett. “As OHSAA raises the bar, we keep pace by adding features benefiting athletic departments.”
FinalForms is an online, mobile application that collects registrations from parents and students via online forms. FinalForms develops custom online forms ranging from ‘Consent to Receive Text Messages’ to ‘Emergency Medical Authorization’ and many more. Data is easily sorted, filtered, searched, printed and exported making FinalForms a must-have for every efficiency-minded administration. FinalForms currently serves more than 55,000 students and OHSAA athletes in more than 75 high schools.
Creating Competitive Balance
FinalForms also tackles competitive balance. The OHSAA leadership will soon act upon a push from member schools to create a equitable playing field by requiring a Divisional Placement Report. The report includes data that will determine the placement of respective team sports into the appropriate division for competition. FinalForms is leading the charge in making this simple for athletic departments. “FinalForms collects all the required data for the Divisional Placement Report. We allow an Athletic Director to create a report with one click, rather than hours of unnecessary meetings, calls, mapping and mathematics,” says Burnett. “As a coach, I understand the importance of competitive balance. FinalForms will do everything possible to assist the OHSAA in this endeavor.”
Pushing the Pace
Burnett and FinalForms co-founder, Macklin Chaffee know all about pace in business as well as athletics. The duo has recently run 4:09 (Burnett) and 3:56 (Chaffee) for the mile. “Pace is a part of our daily routine. Whether it’s running or developing FinalForms, we know winners set the pace,” claims Burnett. “We frequently receive positive feedback and great ideas, so the pace of development is grueling. It is fulfilling when we see athletes, coaches and schools achieving goals with FinalForms as a foundation facilitating athletics.”
Announcing OHSAA related updates for the 2015-16 school year
INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE STUDENTS, AGE 20, ENROLLMENT & ATTENDANCE
- FinalForms updated the online OHSAA Eligibility Checklist Form to include the OHSAA Student Eligibility Guide. The parent must complete the 10 OHSAA standard questions. If any question is answered opposite the default answer, the Athletic Director will receive an email notification to follow up with that family.
- - - OHSAA Bylaw 4-8-1 (Exchange), OHSAA Bylaw 4-2-1 (Age), OHSAA Bylaw 4-3-1 (Enrollment & Attendance), OHSAA Bylaw 4-3-1 (Credits), OHSAA Bylaw 4-4-1 (Credits), OHSAA Bylaw 4-6-1 (Residence), OHSAA Bylaws (Section 7. Transfers), OHSAA Bylaw 1-1-2, 4-3-2, 4-3-3 (Semesters), OHSAA Bylaw 4-10-2 (Prize Money), OHSAA Bylaw 4-1-2 (True name), OHSAA Bylaws (Section 9. Recruiting), 2015-2016 General Sports Regulations
- FinalForms updated the Register a New Student Form to collect data regarding transfer students. If the parent indicates that their student has attended any other school since starting 9th grade, the Athletic Director will receive an email notification to follow up with that family.
- - - OHSAA Bylaw 4-7-2
PRE SEASON MEETINGS
- FinalForms updated the OHSAA Preseason Meeting Information Form to include the new PowerPoint PDF.
- FinalForms allows 2 parties, Athletic Directors and Coaches, to input information regarding Mandatory Preseason Meetings. If the athletic department holds one meeting, encompassing all sports, then the Athletic Director can input that date into FinalForms. If the Athletic Director delegates the meeting to coaches, then the coach may input their meeting date into FinalForms. In either case, attendance may be documented using FinalForms.
- - - OHSAA Bylaw 3-1-4 (Preseason Meetings)
COMPETITIVE BALANCE & DIVISIONAL PLACEMENT REPORTS
- FinalForms developed a method for simply calculating a Divisional Placement Report for ALL schools in Ohio whether or not they are FinalForms customers. FinalForms recently updated this equation with a comprehensive list of Middle Schools in Ohio.
- - - For FinalForms customers, competitive balance relevant information (address, school attended in 7th grade, school attended in 8th grade) is collected during the parent form completion process can generate a Divisional Placement Report.
- - For non-customers, FinalForms has created a standard spreadsheet with can be completed and uploaded in order to generate a Divisional Placement Report. Divisional Placement Reports must be verified by the Athletic Director before submitting to the OHSAA area of FinalForms.
- - - OHSAA Competitive Balance Committee
- FinalForms now allows for the tracking of all coaching certifications and permits including, but not limited to: NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching, CPR, Pupil Activity Program, NFHS Concussion in Sports, BCI and FBI background check.
- - - 2015-2016 General Sports Regulations
- FinalForms complies with OHSAA Bylaws Section 4. Student Participation and Physical Examination Form by providing an online electronic Pre-Participation Physical approved by school districts and health systems.
- - - OHSAA Bylaws (Section 4. Student Participation and Physical Examination Forms)
OHSAA FIELD REPRESENTATIVES CHECKLIST
- FinalForms includes functions to manage: 1) Preseason Meetings, 2) Pupil Activity Permits, 3) Eligibility Certificates, 5) Policy for Dealing with Transfer Students, 6) Process for Student Dropping Classes, 9) Rostering for Competitive Balance, 10) PrivIT link, 13) Review After School Safety Procedures, 16) Concussion Certification
- - - OHSAA Field Representatives Checklist